Policy on Distribution of Returned Facilities and Administration (F&A) Funds College of Education and Human Service (CEHS) Effective July 1, 2023


At Utah State University (USU), 70% of the F&A generated by a sponsored project is retained by the USU Vice President for Research (VPR) and the remaining 30% is returned to the College(s) that generated the funding. Each College has a policy that determines how the returned F&A is distributed among the College (Dean’s Office), Department/Center(s), and investigator(s).

Beginning July 1, 2023, the CEHS will retain one-third of the F&A that is returned to the College. The remaining F&A returned to the College will then be distributed equally among the investigator(s) and their Department/Center(s), resulting in each group receiving one-third of the total returned to the College. When the full 30% comes to CEHS, this is equal to 10% of the total F&A generated by the project (30 x .3333 = 10) for each group. In those situations, 70% is retained by VPR, 10% is retained by the CEHS, 10% is retained by the Department/Center(s), and 10% is retained among the investigator(s).


(33.33% of 30)

(33.33% of 30)

(33.33% of 30)
Total Dept.-PI Precentages of Balance after CEHS
70% 10% 10% 10% 100% 50% 50%
For projects that include investigators from multiple units and/or colleges, the same distribution policy applies. Specifically, the CEHS will retain one-third of the F&A associated with investigators from CEHS units and the remaining two-thirds is distributed equally among the sponsoring units and investigators.

Recovered F&A funds are reinvested in the CEHS to support and grow our expanding research infrastructure. For instance, funds are used to provide proposal development support, offer fee-free statistical consulting, support student travel, and pay for a variety of research-related administrative resources and functions in the CEHS.

Original Issue Date: 07/01/2023
Last Review Date: 07/01/2023
Previous Revision Dates: 09/23/2019

Related CEHS Policies
• CEHS Course Buy Out Policy