Do I Want to be a Teacher?
Praxis Information external site
Teaching Majors and Minors PDF
Major and Minor Advisors PDF
Praxis Teaching Minors
Social Studies Teaching
Course Repeat Policy PDF
Professional Expectations PDF
Alternative Pathway to Professional Licensure (APPEL)
Observation Forms External Site
Welcome to the Secondary Teacher Education Program (STEP) at Utah State University, Logan, Utah. In accordance with the mission statement of the School of Teacher Education and Leadership, we research, teach, lead, and serve in partnership with other stakeholders in the educational process and we continually evaluate our research, teaching, leadership, and service to ensure their relevance and effectiveness.
Our undergraduate and graduate programs offer preparation and continuing professional development for teachers, supervisors, curriculum specialists, and other professional personnel pursuing careers in middle and high school settings. We partner with 22 departments across the USU campus to provide excellent teacher education preparation for students interested in combining their passion for particular academic disciplines with teaching.
All students are required to meet with their advisor at least once per semester.
Schedule an Appointment
Secondary Education Advisors
Roadmap for Secondary Education
- Meet with TEAL advisor to learn about Secondary Teacher Education Program (STEP) requirements and application deadlines.
- Decide what subject you would like to teach. TEAL partners with 22 different departments across USU giving students many options to choose from.
- Take General Education Courses.
- Pass FBI/BCI Background Check. This is a multi-step process.
- Complete STEP Program Application. This requires a meeting with your advising team. Your advising team is your major advisor, TEAL advisor, and minor advisor if you have a minor.
- Subscribe to the Secondary Education Listserv to receive important STEP messages.
- Enroll in STEP courses.
- If you have a teaching minor pass the Praxis exam for that content area. Praxis information external site
- Complete clinical experiences. All students requiring a clinical placement must use the eGrad application to submit a placement request. Helpful links:
- Apply for Student Teaching. Student Teaching application.
- Meet with your advisors (your major advisor, your minor advisor, if you have one, and your TEAL advisor) at the beginning of your fourth year.
- Complete the student teaching requirement.
- Complete Praxis Pedagogical Assessment for Teachers (PPAT). Praxis information external site
- Submit your Graduate Application in Banner.
- Submit Educator License application.
- Apply and interview for teaching positions.
If you are taking a leave of absence, please notify your advisor ASAP.
Considering a career in middle school or secondary education? Planning to pursue graduate studies in education? Contact Us!