Elementary education majors who wish to become licensed to teach mathematics in a middle school setting in grades 6-8 may complete the Middle School Mathematics Endorsement as part of their undergraduate degree. The Middle School Math Endorsement cannot be completed as part of an Early Childhood Education major.
In addition to completing the required courses for the elementary education major, the following courses are required for the endorsement. Minimum grades of C are required in each course.
- MATH 1050 College Algebra or MATH 1051 Classical Algebra for Teachers
- MATH 1060 Trigonometry
- MATH 1210 Calculus I
- MATH 2010 Algebraic Thinking & Number Sense for Elementary Education School Teachers
- MATH 2020 Euclidean Geometry & Statistics for Elementary Education School Teachers
- STAT 1040 Intro to Statistics, STAT 3000 Statistics for Scientists, or STAT 4010 Probability and Statistics for Teachers
- MATH 3110 Modern Geometry or MATH 3110/Math 5010 Technology for Teaching Mathematics
- MATH 3010 or MATH 4400 Algebra/Number from Teaching Perspective
- TEAL 4630 or TEAL 6630 Middle Level Math Methods
For more information about the Middle School Mathematics Endorsement please contact the TEAL Advising Center: (435) 797-0391
For more information about teaching mathematics at the secondary education level please contact the Math Department.
Mathematics & Statistics
Utah State University
3900 Old Main Hill
Logan, Utah 84322-3900
To schedule an advising appointment please email Linda Skabelund email@example.com