Frequently Asked Questions

2nd Bachelor's in ComDDE Online

What fields does this degree prepare me for?

This degree prepares students to continue in graduate programs for speech-language pathology and audiology. It also provides coursework required to become speech-language assistants/technicians in many states in the United States. Since state requirements vary, students should check with specific states of interest to learn about additional coursework or clinical preparation requirements that may be needed in those states. SLPA details can be found on the ASHA website.

What textbooks do I need?

After registering for courses, go to and from the menu on the left, select: "My Course Booklist," it will show you the textbooks needed for your specific classes.

How do I decide if I should take classes as a degree-seeking student or as a non-degree seeking student?

If you do not need a Communicative Disorders degree or do not need all 12 of our classes, then you may want to take classes as a non-degree seeking student. It is a good idea to check with your potential graduate schools to see if they require a degree or just certain leveling courses for admittance into their programs.

Is your program accredited?

Yes, our undergraduate programs are accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).

When can I start classes?

The online program runs on a semester-basis. You may begin at the first of any semester (fall, spring or summer). 

Can I proceed through the class at my own pace?

You can watch the lectures at your own pace and at times that work well for you; however, there are specific due dates for tests and assignments.

Do I have to take 4 classes every semester?

No, you can proceed through your degree at a pace that works for you--taking as little as one class per semester if you would like. You can even skip a semester if needed, you'll just want to fill out a leave of absence if you do take a semester off.

Will I have to attend any classes at USU?

No, you will never need to come to Utah as part of your online classes.

Can I ask my online professors for letters of recommendation for graduate school?

Yes. Please contact them directly to ask if they would be willing to write you a letter. Because they have not met you personally, they will only be able to write letters based on your performance in their classes and their impressions from your resume.

Will I be eligible for financial aid?

If you are an admitted student, then you are eligible to apply for financial aid. Non-degree seeking students may be eligible for federal financial aid. For more information, please contact your advisor or the USU Financial Aid Office directly at 435-797-0181.

If I start as a non-degree seeking student and later decide to apply to the program, what happens to the classes I took as a non-degree seeking student?

If admitted to the program, your previously taken courses will automatically transfer over and apply towards your degree.

How much time should I budget for classes?

You can plan on approximately 2 hours of study for every hour of lecture. A 3-credit class is 3 lecture hours per week; so that would be 9-12 hours per week for each 3-credit class.

What if I miss the deadline to apply for admission?

You can register to take classes as a non-degree seeking student and then apply for admission as a degree-seeking student for the following semester. Your non-degree credits will automatically transfer over and apply towards your degree once you are admitted.

Do you have an online master’s degree program in speech-language pathology?

No, we do not. We do have an Outreach master’s degree with hybrid requirements for Utah school SLP Technicians (also known as SLPAs). For further information, see

Where do I take the exams?

We are excited to announce that you will no longer have to pay for proctored exams, proctoring agencies, or the cost and time associated with traveling to proctoring locations. Utah State University has established an agreement with Proctorio, an online proctoring agency that allows students to take proctored exams on computers and at locations of their choice, free of charge. You will have the one-time cost of purchasing a computer microphone and webcam if you do not already have them. You can use them for your proctored exams in each of your future online classes. Your Canvas course homepage will have specific information for setting up Proctorio on your computer.

To get started you will need:

Once the Proctorio Extension is installed, select your exam or quiz to begin testing. 

If you need help with Proctorio contact or select the “shield” icon in the upper right corner of the browser window to chat with a technician. 

Can I have all of my three letters of recommendation written from the USU COMDDE faculty?

Generally, the maximum number of professors you can request to write you letters of recommendation from our department is two. We believe that it is helpful for the third letter to be written by someone who knows you from a different perspective such as an employer, supervisor, professor from a different department, head of volunteer organization, etc.

Is it easy to find a job in this field and to get accepted into graduate school?

Prior to beginning their educational programs, students should contact the state(s) where they anticipate being employed to understand the potential job market and the competitiveness for positions as speech-language assistants or technicians. Students are also advised to carefully examine graduate school entrance requirements. Admission to graduate school for the professions of speech-language pathology and audiology are highly competitive.

At which schools have your COMDDE graduates been accepted?

List of graduate schools