Frequently Asked Questions

1st Bachelor's in ComDDE Online

What does this degree prepare me for?

This degree prepares students to apply for graduate programs in speech-language pathology and audiology. It also provides coursework required to become speech-language assistants/technicians in many states in the United States. Since state requirements vary, students should check with specific states of interest to learn about additional coursework or clinical preparation requirements that may be needed in those states. SLPA details can be found on the ASHA website.

Are the listed COMDDE courses the only ones I need to take to receive my bachelor's degree?

In order to receive a BS/BA degree from Utah State University there are university requirements and general education requirements that must also be fulfilled.

Licensing in states outside Utah

Here are resources for checking the licensing requirements in other states for specific jobs: USU Online State Authorizations and Career One Stop License Finder.

What textbooks do I need?

After registering for courses, go to and from the menu on the left, select: "My Course Booklist," it will show you the textbooks needed for your specific classes.

How do I decide if I should take classes as a degree-seeking student or as a non-degree seeking student?

If you do not need a Communicative Disorders degree or do not need all 12 of our classes, then you may want to take classes as a non-degree seeking student. It is a good idea to check with your potential graduate schools to see if they require a degree or just certain leveling courses for admittance into their programs.

Is your program accredited?

Yes, our undergraduate programs are accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU).

When can I start classes?

Once the pre-program requirements have been met, students make an appointment with their advisor who may then admit the student into the major. The online program runs on a semester-basis. You may begin at the first of any semester (fall, spring or summer). Our main campus face-to-face program begins in fall semesters.

If I choose the online program, may I proceed through the classes at my own pace?

You can watch the lectures at your own pace and at times that work well for you; however, there are specific due dates for tests and assignments.

How many classes should I take each semester?

We want you to be very successful. Please plan your course load to fit the time you will have available. Occasionally students overload themselves with too many courses without adjusting other demands such as work, service, family responsibilities, etc. Plan ahead and be balanced and realistic. Check with your advisor to co-create the best plan to meet your goals.

How do I transfer classes?

You may transfer up 6 credits of equivalent undergraduate COMD courses you have taken elsewhere to USU and use them to replace those same courses that are part of our program with permission from USU’s COMD department. To do this, you must scan the syllabi of the courses you have completed and a transcript showing the grades you received in those courses. If you are an on-campus student, attach the scanned documents to an email and send it to Michelle Wilson at  If you are in the online 1st Bachelor's program, send the scanned documents to Kristy Meeks at She will contact you when a decision has been made.

Can I ask my online professors for letters of recommendation for graduate school?

Yes. Because they have not met you personally, they will only be able to write letters based on your performance in their classes and their impressions from your resume.

Will I be eligible for financial aid?

If you are an admitted student, then you are eligible to apply for financial aid. However, non-degree seeking students do not qualify. For more information, please contact the USU Financial Aid Office directly at 435-797-0173.

If I start as a non-degree seeking student and later decide to apply to the program, what happens to the classes I took as a non-degree seeking student?

They automatically transfer over and apply towards your degree.

How much time should I budget for classes?

You can plan on approximately 2 hours of study for every hour of lecture.

What if I miss the deadline to apply for admission?

You can register to take classes as a non-degree seeking student and then apply for admission as a degree-seeking student for the following semester. Your non-degree credits will automatically transfer over and apply towards your degree once you are admitted.

Do you have an online master’s degree program in speech-language pathology?

No, we do not. We do have an Outreach master’s degree with hybrid requirements for Utah school SLP Technicians (also known as SLPAs). For further information, see

Where do I take the exams?

We are excited to announce that you will no longer have to pay for proctored exams, proctoring agencies, or the cost and time associated with traveling to proctoring locations. Utah State University has established an agreement with Proctorio, an online proctoring agency that allows students to take proctored exams on computers and at locations of their choice, free of charge. You will have the one-time cost of purchasing a computer microphone and webcam if you do not already have them. You can use them for your proctored exams in each of your future online classes. Your Canvas course homepage will have specific information for setting up Proctorio on your computer.

To get started you will need:

Once the Proctorio Extension is installed, select your exam or quiz to begin testing. 

If you need help with Proctorio contact or select the “shield” icon in the upper right corner of the browser window to chat with a technician. 

Can I have all of my three letters of recommendation written from the USU COMDDE faculty?

Generally, the maximum number of professors you can request to write you letters of recommendation from our department is two. We believe that it is helpful for the third letter to be written by someone who knows you from a different perspective such as an employer, supervisor, professor from a different department, head of volunteer organization, etc.

Is it easy to find a job in this field and to get accepted into graduate school?

Prior to beginning their educational programs, students should contact the state(s) where they anticipate being employed to understand the potential job market and the competitiveness for positions as speech-language assistants or technicians. Students are also advised to carefully examine graduate school entrance requirements. Admission to graduate school for the professions of speech-language pathology and audiology are highly competitive.