Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling
Rehabilitation counseling is a systematic process which assists persons with physical, mental, developmental, cognitive, and emotional disabilities to achieve their personal, career, and independent living goals in the most integrated setting possible through the application of the counseling process.
Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling services within the Behavioral Health Clinic focus on evidence-based counseling services for adolescents and adults experiencing psychosocial and psychological issues related to chronic illness and disability. Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling services utilize a range of treatment approaches in helping persons with disabilities adjust to their disability while maximizing functioning. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), person-centered counseling, Motivational Interviewing (MI), psychosocial interventions, and psychoeducation are some of the techniques employed by Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling students and professionals. Individual therapy sessions are typically 45 minutes and occur once a week.
Clinical Rehabilitation Counseling services are provided by multiculturally competent professionals and students and welcome persons of color, sexual non-majority persons (LGBTQ+), religious non-majority persons, and persons of all socioeconomic backgrounds.
Therapy services are provided to address the following:
- Concerns related to adjustment to disability
- Behavioral Excesses and Deficits
- Coping Skill deficits
- Peer relationship difficulties
- Issues related to Body Image
- Concerns related to Sex, Sexuality, and Sexual Interests
- Employment Adjustment
We accept insurance for certain providers. Please call to obtain up-to-date information regarding providers who accept insurance and which insurance companies we can bill.
For services provided by students (under supervision of licensed counselors/clinicians), fees are set on a sliding scale according to the client’s income and the number of persons living in the household. A fee arrangement will be made with the clinic manager before the intake session.
Cancellation policy: Clients are required to give 24 hours’ notice for all cancellations. Failure to provide this notice may result in a charge.
Clinicians and Supervisors
The following are licensed Clinical Rehabilitationclinicians who currently provide services and/or supervise Clinical Rehabilitation student clinicians.
- Michael Gerald, PhD, Clinical Mental Health Counselor (CMHC), Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC) (Provides direct services and clinical supervision)
- Dakota Pond, MSW, LCSW (Provides direct services)
- Autumn Hoover, Associate Clinical Mental Health Counselor (ACMHC), Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC)
- Lindsay Thunell, Associate Clinical Mental Health Counselor (ACMHC), Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC)
Monday–Friday: 8:00 am–5:00 pm
To schedule an appointment or for any questions regarding services, please contact Michael Gerald:
The Sorenson Center is not a crisis clinic.
In a crisis situation, please use one of the following resources: