Frequently Asked Questions

What are the requirements to graduate from the M.Ed. in School Counseling Program?

In order to fulfill program requirements, students must complete the following:

  1. 48 semester credits with a minimum overall GPA of 3.0
  2. 100-hour practicum in a K-12 setting under the supervision of a licensed school counselor with 2+ years of experience
  3. 600-hour internship in a K-12 setting under the supervision of a licensed school counselor with 2+ years of experience
  4. Praxis: Professional School Counselor Test with a score of 164 or higher (version 5421) or 153 or higher (version 5422). After September 1, 2023, the 5422 will be required and the only version recognized for licensure.

What prerequisites do I need to complete in order to apply to USU’s School Counseling Program?

To fulfill the application requirements, individuals must complete the following courses with a B grade or higher:

  1. 2000 level or above Statistics course

Eligible statistic courses can be taken through USU or an accredited institution but must be completed and posted to the applicant's transcript by the School Counseling program application deadline. The applicant must have an official transcript sent from the institution where the course was completed. The transcript must show the complete course and the corresponding grade. USU offers the prerequisite course on-campus and online.

I need to complete the statistics prerequisite courses for the application, but I am not a USU undergraduate student seeking a bachelor’s degree. Can I still take this course at USU?

Yes. If individuals are interested in taking a qualifying statistics course through USU they apply as a non-degree seeking student. This is a quick, easy, and free process. Please apply to Utah State University. Once an account has been created and the individual has applied as a non-degree seeking student, they will be sent an email giving them an A number and the information they need to register for classes. Students can complete up to 15 credits as a non-degree seeking student. If help is needed with registering for an undergraduate course, students should contact an academic advisor in the relevant department. 


Does the School Counseling Program require a graduate entrance exam?

No. Beginning with the Fall 2024 cohort application cycle, no graduate entrance exam is required.


Can I apply coursework from my completed master’s degree toward the M.Ed. in School Counseling?

No. Policies of USU’s School of Graduate Studies state that students cannot use courses from a previous degree for a new degree. Students must complete all the required credits for the M.Ed. in School Counseling Program.


I have extensive experience in the K-12 educational field as a professional educator. Does my experience count toward my internship hours?

No. All students, regardless of their experience as a professional educator, are required to complete the full 600-hour internship in a K-12 setting under the supervision of a licensed school counselor with 2+ years of experience.

After I complete the M.Ed. in School Counseling Program, do I automatically receive my Professional Educator License in K-12 School Counseling from the state of Utah?

No. Upon completion of the program, students must apply for their Professional Educator License. USU will provide the necessary recommendation to the Utah State Board of Education (USBE). Additionally, the School Counseling Program and the Emma Eccles Jones College of Education and Human Services provide extensive support to students during the application process. However, it is the responsibility of the student to apply for the Professional Educator License with the USBE.

Am I able to work full-time while completing this program?

The M.Ed. in School Counseling Program is a part-time program with evening courses. Students complete 8 semesters of coursework. During the 5th semester of the program (spring semester of a student’s second year) students complete a 100-hour practicum. The final year of the program students complete a 600-hour internship. Both the practicum and internship must be completed in a K-12 setting during the school day. Many students do find success working full time during the first two years of the program (including the practicum). However, it is important for students to consider how their employment will work with these program requirements.

Does USU’s master’s degree in school counseling allow me to become a counselor outside of a K-12 setting?

The MEd earned through this program leads to licensure as a Professional School Counselor in a K-12 setting with the Utah State Board of Education. It does not allow the holder of the degree to become licensed as any other type of mental health professional or other profession with similar licensing requirements.