Program Director / Director of Clinical Training of the School Psychology Specialization
Contact InformationOffice Location: EDUC 480
School mental health; youth & caregiver mental health; brief ratings scales for measuring mental health constructs; mindfulness-based assessment & intervention
My work aims to improve the accessibility and quality of school-based mental health services. I’m also broadly interested in youth and caregiver mental health across settings, including integrated and coordinated care. You can learn more about my lab’s research and practice interests by checking out our lab website. I hold a PhD in Combined Clinical, Counseling, and School Psychology from the University of California at Santa Barbara. I’m a past Editor-in-Chief for Assessment for Effective Intervention, a current Associate Editor for School Psychology Review, and a previous recipient of the Lightner Witmer Award (2017) for early-career contributions to school psychology. To date, I have published 70+ scholarly works that have received 3,600+ citations. Prior to coming to USU in January 2018, I was faculty in the Psychology Department at Louisiana State University for 5.5 years. If you’re interested in potentially joining my lab as a PhD student or getting involved as an undergrad RA, please read through my page with info for prospective students prior to reaching out. You can also find me on Twitter @ty_renshaw.
- Merrell, K. W., Ervin, R. A., Peacock, G. G., & Renshaw, T. L. (2022). School psychology for the 21st century: Foundations and practices (3rd ed). Guilford.
- Renshaw, T. L. (2020). Mindfulness-based intervention in schools. In M. Bray & C. Maykel (Eds.) Promoting mind–body health in schools: Interventions for mental health professionals (pp. 145–160). American Psychological Association. https://doi.org/10.1037/0000157-000
- Renshaw, T. L., & Cook, C. R. (2018). Initial development and validation of the Youth Internalizing Problems Screener. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment, 36, 366–378. https://doi.org/10.1177/0734282916679757
- Renshaw, T. L., & Cook, C. R. (2017). Mindfulness in the schools—Historical roots, current trends, and future directions. Psychology in the Schools, 54(1), 5–12. https://doi.org/10.1002/pits.21978
- Renshaw, T. L., Long, A. C. J., & Cook, C. R. (2015). Assessing adolescents’ positive psychological functioning at school: Development and validation of the Student Subjective Wellbeing Questionnaire. School Psychology Quarterly, 30(4), 534–552. https://doi.org/10.1037/spq0000088