Emphasis, Minor, or Endorsement
The School Library Media Administration (SLMA) program at Utah State University (USU) is designed for those interested in working in a school library media center, public or private. The program includes all the course work and practicum experiences necessary to apply for the Utah State Board of Education (USBE) library media K-12 endorsement. Those seeking the USBE endorsement must have, or be working toward, a current and valid Utah teaching license. This program is offered through the Department of Instructional Technology and Learning Sciences (ITLS) in the Emma Eccles Jones College of Education and Human Services (CEHS).
What is SLMA?
A USBE library media K-12 endorsement
A USU undergraduate minor
An emphasis in the ITLS Master of Education (MEd) degree
Professional development for those not seeking an endorsement or degree
Personal interest as a lifelong learner
The program is designed for students to begin the course work fall semester and complete in summer semester. Students can complete in one year if they take 2 courses each semester (fall, spring, summer) or complete in two years if they take 1 course each semester.
- The SLMA program is eighteen (18) semester credit hours.
- A minimum of fifteen (15) of the eighteen (18) total credit hours must be taken through USU to count as the minor or for USU to recommend endorsement through the USBE.
- All coursework must be completed within six (6) years of the date of acceptance. To work toward the USBE library media endorsement, applicant must have, or be working toward, a current and valid Utah Educator License with an Elementary or Secondary area of concentration.
- Completion of the course work does not automatically guarantee a recommendation by the ITLS department for the USBE endorsement in library media K-12. A recommendation for endorsement will be made when the student has:
- successfully completed all coursework, including the SLMA practicum (ITLS 5090 or ITLS 6090)
- completed a minimum of 15 credits through USU
- demonstrated competency in course work
- demonstrated potential to work effectively with both students and teachers
- maintained a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher
- the approval of the practicum advisor and course instructors
- a current and valid Utah teaching license
- completed the appropriate forms and submitted the required fees
If you already have a degree (including a graduate degree) and only want the USBE endorsement, apply to USU as an undergraduate. Do not use the graduate school application unless you are seeking a graduate degree. One of the items on the undergraduate application asks for the reason you are applying to USU. If you choose the certificate/endorsement option, the application fee is waived.
Once you are admitted, if you are:
|Endorsement||Work with your local USU Regional Campus or Distance Education Center to register for courses each semester.|
|Minor||Work with your advisor to schedule and register for courses each semester.|
|M. Ed. Emphasis||Work with the ITLS advisor for program schedules and concerns, but work with your local USU Regional Campus or Distance Education Center to register for courses each semester.|
|Professional Development /
|Work with your local USU Regional Campus or Distance Education Center to register for courses each semester.|