We're here to guide you through each step of the application process. Create an account and start your application at the application website. See below for ITLS department-specific requirements. The graduate school website can be challenging to navigate. Janet Blad is happy to answer your questions.
See if you are eligible for the ITLS Graduate Program Application Fee Waiver
The Human Experience Design and Interaction undergraduate degree focuses on instructional design, video game design, product design, or multimedia design, all with an emphasis on making the design human-centered with design thinking principles.
School of Graduate Studies
The PhD, Education Specialist and Master's programs will prepare you for a career in instructional design and development and deepen your understanding of how you can use technology as a classroom teacher, educator, school librarian, or administrator.
We accept master's students twice a year and PhD students once a year. Late applications will be accepted on a space-available basis only. Bachelor's students can apply any time.
|Programs||Application Deadlines||Start Semester|
|Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)||December 15, 2021||Fall|
|Master’s Programs (MEd, MA, MS)||April 1, 2021*; Any time for remaining openings||Fall|
|Master’s Programs (MEd, MA, MS)||October 15, 2021*; Any time for remaining openings||Spring|
|Master’s Programs (MEd, MA, MS)||Apply Any Time!*||Summer|
|Education Specialist (EdS)||Apply Any Time!||Any|
|Human Experience Design and Interaction (BS)||Apply any time!||Fall|
|Multimedia Development Minor||Apply any time!||Fall|
|School Library Media Administration (SLMA) Certificate||Apply any time!**||Fall|
*We give full consideration to Master’s students who apply by the Fall and Spring deadlines above and then hold remaining openings until they are filled. Students can start our program (including taking our 1 credit orientation class) year round.
**If you want to pursue the School Library Media Administration certificate, you may apply as a non-matriculated student. Contact Sheri Haderlie at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Tuition and Funding
The Instructional Technology and Learning Sciences department understands that tuition can be one of the biggest concerns when looking into a degree in higher education. We do all that we can to provide clear information on tuition and different financial aids to help our students avoid as much financial debt as possible.
ITLS Graduate School Admission Requirements
- A bachelor's or master's degree before the program starts
- GPA: 3.0 or higher for your most recent credits (the last 60 credits for semester-based programs or 90 credits for quarter-based programs)
- Three letters of recommendation
- In recognition of the high cost and low predictive validity of admissions tests ITLS no longer requires the GRE or MAT
TOEFL or IELTS (for international students only)
- International students may replace this requirement with two years’ attendance at an English-speaking college or university (e.g., United States, United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand or Australia).
- Passing TOEFL: Internet based - 79; Computer based - 214; Paper based - 550
- Passing IETLS: Overall score - 6; Subscale scores - 5
- PhD and MS: Choose a writing sample that cites references and demonstrates your academic writing skills, such as a research paper, honors thesis, or theory paper. Writing samples that include a research design, data collection, and analysis with presentation of results or findings are ideal, though not required.
- MA, MEd and EdS: Choose a writing sample that demonstrates your skill or potential in academic writing. Ideal samples include academic papers, lesson plans, design documents, evaluation reports, or other professional documents.
Statement of Purpose
- Include your statement of purpose with your graduate school application.
- We don’t require a specific word count. Please take the time to thoughtfully describe why you wish to seek this degree at USU.
This one credit online asynchronous course is offered each semester and is required of all graduate students. You will learn how to be successful in the program and in your future careers while getting to know other students and faculty.
International students should check with the office of global engagement for additional requirements at the start of their programs.