Special Education Master's Program

Students are studying with their teacher on a field trip.

Welcome to the Special Education Masters’ Programs in the College of Education and Human Services (CEHS). Each of four programs is designed to provide advanced levels of skills and knowledge in classroom teaching, clinical intervention, or administration when working with individuals who have disabilities. We are fortunate to be ranked very high compared to other schools/programs in the U.S:

Book Reader

Special Ed Master's Program Consistently Ranked in Top 10%


CEHS #12 in the Nation for Total Research Dollars Generated


Top 5
Best Value Graduate Programs in Special Education


CEHS #1 in Utah and #32 in the Nation for Prestigious Graduate Schools

Which Master's program is right for me?

M.S. in Special Education

This degree is for candidates who wish to pursue career as a Special Education Researcher or educators in colleges/universities.


M.S. with BCBA Coursework

An M.S. with BCBA (Behavior Certified Behavior Analyst) gives individuals the background and skills to work as Analysts.


M.Ed. in Special Education

Suitable for individuals who wish to advance their career as Special Education teachers.

Creative Project: professional portfolio

M.Ed. with Administrative Supervisory License

Suitable for individuals who wish to advance their careers as school administrators.

Creative Project: professional portfolio

Application Deadlines

Start Semester M.Ed. / M.S. in Special Education M.Ed. with Administrative Supervisory License M.S. with BCBA Coursework
Summer March 15 March 15 March 15
Fall June 15 May 1 -
Spring October 15 October 15 -


What is the difference between the M.Ed. and M.S. degrees?

The M.Ed. degree requires that a student do a creative project. The M.S. requires a thesis. General speaking, a thesis is more rigorous and recommended if a student plans to go on for a Ph.D. degree.

Can I take classes before I am admitted into the program?

You can take up to 12 credits before you are admitted into the program. You should know that you are taking these courses at your own risk. You are not guaranteed admission into the program just because you are taking classes.

What should my letter of intent include?

Your letter must detail your specific reasons for wanting to attend graduate school, and also list and describe experiences and qualifications that you believe prepared you for advanced study. Letters of intent are considered a vital element...

Questions? Get in Touch.

Elise Gonzalez

Graduate Program Coordinator

Elise Gonzalez

Office Location: EDUC 313
Phone: 435-797-3245
Email: elise.gonzalez@usu.edu