Bachelor of Science
BS students focus on instructional design, video game design, product design, or multimedia design, all with an emphasis on making the design human-centered with design thinking principles. With a degree in Human Experience Design and Interaction (HEDI), you can also launch a career in User Experience and User Interface design, Product Management, Learning Design, Game Design, or Data Analysis, just to name a few. Important to any of these career options is good business sense, like project management and entrepreneurship principles.
The Bachelor of Science degree is available online through Utah State University.
Students for the Major in Human Experience Design and Interaction choose two areas of emphasis. See the Course planning sheet to see the course listings for the follow Emphasis Areas.
The multimedia emphasis equips students with the skills needed to be competent in media production. Students will acquire skills in graphic design, video and audio production, and instructional media design. The scope of this emphasis ranges from using market-standard multimedia software to the design thinking process and application of multimedia in learning.
The emphasis on game studies provides students with theoretical and applied knowledge in the field of videogame design and production. Students will be introduced to game theory, major game engines used in the design and development process, character and level design, and current issues in gaming related to technology and culture. The emphasis will also give students insight into the field of esports.
This emphasis provides students with insight into design as it relates to marketing. Students will gain knowledge about marketing strategies and research and acquire skills needed for designing brand identity. Students will also get insight into firm marketing and price analysis.
Culturally Responsive Design
Culture-based design is an essential aspect of human experience design. Intercultural study is key to designing experiences that put cultural diversity into consideration. In this emphasis, students will acquire knowledge on social work with diverse populations, cultural anthropology, and race, sex, and gender perspectives. Students will also gain insight into social and multicultural psychology.
This emphasis frames design thinking in the context of product design. Students will learn how to identify market opportunities, define problems, and develop proper solutions for those problems using design thinking strategies. Students will also gain knowledge in outdoor product design and development, methods of digital design and development, and digital making and learning.
New Venture Management
This emphasis gives students the knowledge and skills needed for entrepreneurial ventures and small businesses. Students will learn how to start their own business, understand new venture fundamentals, and manage new ventures. They will also learn the principles of marketing and financing.
Students who are interested in the communication side of user experience and interaction will be interested in this emphasis. In this emphasis, students will acquire skills such as technical and professional writing and editing, writing for digital media, and document design and graphics.
Depending on your path and emphasis areas, a HEDI degree may lead you to many different career fields. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, the career fields associated with this degree are within the top three fastest growth rate categories for projected growth rates in Utah from 2014 to 2024:
- Instructional designer (consider emphasizing in technical communication, multimedia, and/or culturally responsive design)
- Web developer (consider emphasizing in game studies and/or multimedia)
- Training and development manager (consider emphasizing in new venture management and/or marketing)
- Project manager (consider emphasizing in new venture management and/or marketing)
- Program manager (consider emphasizing in new venture management and/or marketing)
- Product manager (consider emphasizing in product development, new venture management, and/or marketing)
- Multimedia and eLearning developer consider (consider emphasizing in multimedia and/or game studies)
- UX/UI designers (consider emphasizing in multimedia and/or culturally responsive design)
- Game designers (consider emphasizing in game studies and/or multimedia)
- Graphic designer (consider emphasizing in multimedia and/or culturally responsive design)
- Data analyst (consider emphasizing in marketing and/or culturally responsive design)
- Technical writer (consider emphasizing in technical communication and/or multimedia)
- Content developer (consider emphasizing in technical communication and/or multimedia)
Note: You would be qualified for most all of these careers with any emphasis areas you choose. The emphasis areas listed with each career option is only suggestive. Also, this list is not comprehensive by any means; there are many more career options available to you.
The equivalent of an associate's degree.
2.0 GPA or greater.
myHEDI portal is a dedicated site for students to interact with their colleagues and instructors. Students can post their work, create portfolios, and seek advice through this portal.