"Learners of all ages are drawn to and are willing to invest in that which interests them. Interest ignites motivation to learn. When important ideas and skills connect to students' interest they are far more likely to be eager to learn."
EBLS's admission policy complies with Utah Code 53A-1a506.5, relating to applications and deadlines for admission to charter schools. Admission is not limited based upon ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, income level, disabling condition, proficiency in the English language, or athletic ability. There are no fees or tuitions charged for attending EBLS, except those allowed by law.
Edith Bowen Laboratory School may consider for admission all children who will reside in the State of Utah and submit a timely application. In compliance with Utah Code, a charter school may give enrollment preference to children of founding board members, children of full-time (or equivalent) employees at the school, and siblings of pupils who will be actively enrolled in the charter school at the time of enrollment of the sibling. Each spring after the application deadline, if the size of the applicant pool exceeds the capacity of a grade level, a lottery will be held and a new priority list will be determined for each grade level for the coming school year. Siblings of pupils who will be actively enrolled at the school in the coming year will take priority on this list. With the exception of siblings, no new students will be enrolled after March 1st for that school year. Parents who have children actively enrolled in the School and who desire their siblings to be considered for admission must inform the School by formal application. Please refer to the online charter document or the online parent handbook for more detailed information about admissions, policies and procedures.
Parents who have children actively enrolled in the school and who desire their siblings to be considered for admission must inform the school by formal application. Applicants should be aware that they will need to keep this application active by sending or emailing the school a letter of intent each January.
Kindergarten applications for the upcoming school year will be accepted between January 1st and February 15th of each year. All applications received will be entered into a lottery to fill openings in the kindergarten classes. Those applicants not selected will be placed on the waiting list in sequential order as they are drawn in the lottery. All applicants have an equal chance of being selected regardless of the date the application is submitted (between the dates listed above).
Parents applying for kindergarten admission must understand the following items:
- Admission will follow stated procedures.
- Selection of kindergarten students will be completed by the end of February, with notification sent out approximately the last week of the month.
- Children entering EBLS must be five years of age on or before September 1st of their entry year (Utah Code 53A-3-402).
- Immunization records and a valid birth certificate shall also be required prior to admission to kindergarten.
- A vision screening is also required prior to kindergarten enrollment and will be done by EBLS during the enrollment period.
- If a child does not receive a vision screening during kindergarten registration at EBLS, a verification of a screening must come from a licensed doctor or approved eye screener.
- No deferments will be allowed for students who have been selected for admission to EBLS.
- If position is declined, the child will either be deleted from the list or reassigned placement at the end of the list.
- All criteria for new placements will apply to the child at that time.
- Students enrolled at the school whose families receive a job-related leave of absence will have to participate in the lottery process for readmission to EBLS.
Grades 1-6 Application
Applications for grades 1-6 will be accepted from January 1st to April 30th of each year. At that time, a lottery will be conducted for admission for each grade for the upcoming school year. Applications received after April 30th will only be considered for enrollment if there are no names left on the current year's lottery list. All applicants have an equal chance of being selected regardless of the date the application is submitted (between the dates listed above).
Under the school's charter, enrollment is limited to 358 students. The school breaks down this number by grade level:
|Number of Students