Skip to main content

Educator Licensing Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for my educator license?

Sometime before you complete the licensing program, you should complete an application for a Utah Educator License.  Print and complete the application, then bring it to EDUC 103 or mail it to the address on the instruction sheet (included in the application).

We also offer the following endorsements. Click on any of them to e-mail a request for further information. For information on other endorsements, please contact the State Office of Education

Early Childhood Endorsement Dr. Kim Lott 435-797-1103
English as a Second Language (ESL) Dr. Sarah Braden 435-797-4142
Elem. Mathematics Dr. Patricia Moyer-Packenham 435-797-2597
Reading Dr. Cindy Jones 435-797-7027
Gifted/Talented Endorsement Dr. Scott Hunsaker  435-797-0386
Dual Language Immersion Dr. Sarah Braden 435-797-4142
Administrative/Supervisory Endorsement Dr. Greg Lewis 435-797-3912
Library/Media Endorsement Dr. Sheri Haderlie 435-797-7003

What happens to my application after I turn it in?

Your application will be held in the Education Licensing Office at Utah State until we receive your official transcript showing your degree. If your degree was earned at another institution, or you are applying course work taken at another institution toward your license, you will be required to turn in that official transcript as well. As soon as we receive your official transcript, we will send your application to the State Office of Education along with our recommendation that you be issued a license.

How long will it be before I get my license?

It generally takes 4-6 weeks after the end of a semester for grades and degrees to be posted to a transcript.

Once your application is complete we will recommend you to the Utah State Office of Education.  An email will be sent to you explaining the payment process.  Once payment has been made, you can print your license immediately.  Please save the file to your computer.

I understand that I will get an email verifying that I have been recommended for an Educator License when I graduate. Can I get that letter early so I can get a job or make more money as a substitute?

We send an email to every student who completes a licensing program when their application is forwarded to the State Office of Education. This email verifies that the student has completed the program and is recommended for licensure. We CANNOT send letters before your degree shows on your transcript. If you are not in a degree program, all of your grades must be on your transcript.

If I already have my degree, do I still have to get my advisor's signature on the yellow sheet?

Yes, you do. Having a degree does not guarantee that you completed the licensing program.

If I am not in Logan, how can I get my advisor's signature?

We recommend that you complete the entire application and then mail the entire packet to your advisor for his/her signature. He/she can then forward the application to the Educator Licensing Office. Please do not send the advisor signature page to your advisor and the rest of the application to us. We do not accept incomplete applications and this may cause delays with your application process. Incomplete applications will be returned to you.

I am confused about how to order an official transcript.

You can also order an official transcript online by Visiting

How can I find out if my background check is current?

If you did your student teaching within the past year your background check should be current. If you want us to check on it for you, email us and we will check on it and get back to you immediately. We cannot accept background checks done for school districts, so if you are currently teaching and have never had a background check done with us, you will probably have to have another one done. For more information on the background check, visit

How do I go about getting licensed in another state?

You will need to call information and get the number for the State Office of Education in the state you are relocating to. They can give you all their requirements and tell you if they have reciprocity with Utah (meaning they accept a Utah Educator License). You will probably need to have a form called an "Institutional Recommendation" filled out. Those forms can be sent to the Dean's Office, 2800 Old Main Hill, Logan UT 84322-2800. Please send a self-addressed stamped envelope so we can return the form to you. We will return them to you as quickly as possible. Once again, these forms cannot be filled out by us until you have completed the program and all necessary documentation is on your transcript.

What are the licensing fees to receive my teaching license in Utah?

View Utah State Office of Education licensing fees.

How can I contact the State Office of Education to find out the status of my application?

They can be reached at (801) 538-7740. Their address is 250 East 500 South, P.O. Box 144200, Salt Lake City UT 84114-4200. To link to their home page visit