The USU Psychology Department offers a doctoral degree (PhD) in Psychology with a specialization in School Psychology as well as an educational specialist degree (EdS) in School Psychology. The PhD in School Psychology prepares professional psychologists who can work in research institutions and practice in schools, clinics, hospitals, and other settings. The EdS in School Psychology prepares professionals who can provide psychological services in schools and educational settings.
School psychologists work to support the mental health and educational success of youth as well as their caregivers and communities. Training focuses on developing scientific problem-solving skills as well as broad competencies in assessment, intervention, consultation, and collaborative care. Both the PhD and EdS programs places strong emphasis on science-based, culturally responsive, ethically informed, and legally compliant practice within schools and allied settings.
The School Psychology specialization features accomplished faculty with expertise in the areas of school mental health, mindfulness-based intervention, self-regulated learning, and parent training.
About Our PhD Program
- APA Accredited (2021 - 2026)
- Admitted to work with a Major Professor
- 4 years on campus + 1 year predoctoral internship
- Full tuition award & assistantship with stipend
- Training in scientific psychology, health service psychology
- Thesis & dissertation projects
- Extensive research lab experience
- Several years of part-time practicum
- Employed as practitioners in a variety of settings (e.g. schools, clinics, hospitals, private practice) or as faculty at universities and research institutes
- Introduction to School Psychology
- Evidence-Based Practice: Child & Adult
- Psychoeducational Assessment
- School Mental Health: Assessment & Intervention
- Advanced Assessment
About Our EdS Program
- NASP Approved (1995 - 2025)
- 2 years on-campus + 1 year school-based internship
- Training in supporting students' academic, behavioral, and social-emotional success
- Coursework in psychological assessment, consultation, and intervention in schools
- Part-time school-based practicum in Year 2
- Employed as practitioners in schools and educational settings
Application Requirements (PhD & EdS)
Submit the following to the School of Graduate Studies:
- Statement of Purpose/Intent - Recommended length of 500-1000 words
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Official Transcripts from All Previous Schools
- GPA for the last 60 credits taken of 3.0 or higher
- Fit with a current faculty member affiliated with the specialization
The PhD specialization will be conducting invitation only interviews of applicants virtually on Friday, February 17, 2023. Admitted students will matriculate into the program in the Fall 2023 semester.
The EdS program admission applications for Fall 2023 are closed. The deadline for Fall 2024 applications is December 1st.
School Psychology Faculty
School Psychology Labs
The Self-Regulated Learning Lab | Greg Callan
Just before, during, and after learning or performing askill, individuals have the opportunity to engage several processes and beliefs that can facilitate more efficient skill development and/or performance. For example, setting goals, planning, using a variety of strategies,self-monitoring, and reflecting after performance can all help an individual learn and perform better. In addition, these processes influence and are influenced by motivational beliefs. Collectively, these processes are part of a system referred to as self-regulated learning (SRL). This research lab examines the development of innovative measurement tools to examine these processes, the development of interventions to foster SRL, and how educators and school psychologists can support the development of SRL. We have completed research within several domains such as mathematical problem solving, test taking, creativity, and reading.
School Mental Health Lab | Tyler Renshaw
The big idea driving our work School Mental Health Lab is that schools should be community hubs for mental health services; not just for kids, but also for educators and parents and families. We believe schools should offer both prevention and treatment, and should balance reducing suffering with improving wellbeing. Most importantly, we believe school-based services are integral to promoting mental health equity. The lab has three main lines of research:
- Validating brief rating scales for assessing key mental health variables, including suffering and wellbeing indicators.
- Evaluating the effects of simple mindfulness interventions with students, teachers, and parents.
- Systematically reviewing the effects of interventions that involve mindfulness (e.g., CBT, ACT, DBT, & SEL) with youth and caregivers.
The School Psychology PhD Program was established in the 2018–19 academic year. The Program has been granted initial accreditation by the American Psychological Association for the period of May 11, 2021–May 11, 2026 (5 years). Answers to questions regarding accreditation and related standards are available through APA:
Office of Program Consultation and Accreditation
American Psychological Association
750 First Street NE
Washington, DC 20002-442
Visit APA’s website
Disclosure of Educational Requirements for Licensure by State
The PhD specialization adheres to APA accreditation standards and prepares students for entry into the profession of health service psychology with an emphasis in school psychology. The EdS Program adheres to NASP training standards and prepares students for entry into the profession of school psychology. Given the varied and changing requirements across jurisdictions, we have not determined and cannot assure that graduates will meet all requirements for licensure in all states or territories. Students are encouraged to become familiar with relevant state licensing laws and discuss their curricular plan with their major professor and specialization director.
This specialization meets requirements in Utah.
USU has not determined if the specialization meets requirements in: AK, AL, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, GU, HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MP, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, PR, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UM, VA, VI, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY.